Distribution of Free Material and Public Posting Policy
It is the policy of the Board of Trustees of the Tacoma Public Library, as a part of its
information mission and as a public service, to provide access to community information by providing spaces for the free distribution of handouts and the public posting of flyers, notices and posters. Distribution or posting of such materials by the Library does not indicate Library endorsement of the ideas, issues, or events promoted by those materials.
A limited number of places within each library branch are available for handouts and postings. Therefore, the Library Director will designate within each branch:
- Those bulletin boards, literature racks, countertops, desktops, and shelves which are to be used exclusively for materials as solely defined by the Library which provide Library information to the public or which promote Library events.
- Those bulletin boards, literature racks, and shelves which are made available for the free distribution or posting of non-commercial materials produced by organizations limited to those engaged in cultural, educational, intellectual, or charitable activities and which announce such activities.
Because space available for the distribution of materials described in category 2, above, is limited, the Library will give preference to materials that:
- Originate from Tacoma or Pierce County organizations;
- Announce events, activities, and services in a timely fashion;
- Are of a suitable size and, in the case of handouts, of suitable quantity.
Materials known to be illegal will not be posted or placed for free distribution.
The Library asserts its right and responsibility to ensure that the bulletin board and
handout spaces are available on an equitable basis to all groups which request them.
Therefore, the Library's Community Relations Officer or Branch Managers must approve each item for posting or free distribution. Approval will be guided by the provision of this Policy and not by the content of the material under considered.
Materials posted or left-for free distribution without approval from the Library will be
discarded. The Library assumes no responsibility for the preservation or protection of
materials posted or placed for free distribution.
How to arrange to have material posted or distributed at the Tacoma Public Library.
The most efficient way to arrange for distribution of fliers, posters and other materials
at all ten library locations is to deliver the materials to the Community Relations Office
at the downtown Main Library. Fliers, bookmarks, newsletters, etc. must be divided into 10 bundles (one for each library). The library recommends that a minimum of 25 and a maximum of 100 pieces of each handout be made available at each location.
Organizations wishing to distribute large numbers of bulky material (i.e. newsletters)
should telephone ahead for special arrangements.
Neighborhood-specific material should be taken to individual branch library locations for distribution.
For more information contact the Community Relations Office at (253) 292-2001 Ext 1220