Tacoma Public Library's Teen Summer Reading Challenge!
June 16th - August 11th, 2012
The last day to report on your summer reading is Saturday, August 11 by 5:30 p.m. Reports will not be taken in the library or online after that time.
The nuts and bolts of our teen summer reading challenge!
Own the Night is for students completing 6th through 12th Grade.
Why spend your summer reading? It's lots of fun. You can learn new things. It's a great way of escaping into new worlds and new adventures. It will make you a better student when you go back to school. We'll even give you cool reading rewards, including the chance to win a new iPad.
You can sign up at your neighborhood library or online (right here). How easy is that?
What you need to know:
- The first day to sign up is Saturday, June 2.
- Once you sign up, you can check out books and start reading immediately.
- The first day to report is Saturday, June 16.
- The last day to report is Saturday, August 11 @ 5:30 p.m.
- The last day to pick up your prizes is Friday, August 17 @ 5:30 p.m.
- You can read and report on any book, magazine, or graphic novel; listen to audiobooks; or download and read an ebook checked out from the Tacoma Public Library. Be sure to read at your grade level. We can help you find awesome books to read. Also, you can attend and report on up to two programs at the Tacoma Public Library for Summer Reading Club credit.
- Keep track of your reading or events you have attended on your reading log or online. You can always get more logs at your library, if you fill one up (and we hope you do). Download extra logs here,
- Record the title and the author of the book you read or the title and location of the event you attended.
- Write a brief review of the book or event. (If you submit your review online, we may publish it on the web site.)
- You can report on your reading or on programs you have attended at the library. Be sure to bring your reading log with you. We stop taking reports ½ an hour before the library closes.
- You can report your reading or events anytime at the library or online @ Own the Night. Create your own web page profile to keep track of what you are reading or events you attended for Summer Reading Club credit. You still need to visit the library to collect your prize. Get information about upcoming events and even recommendations about cool new books!
Every time you read and report on a book or attend (and report on) a library event you receive a coupon redeemable for two free games of bowling at Narrows Plaza Bowl. There is no limit to the number of coupons you can receive, so keep reading all summer and you and your friends can be bowling all summer and fall.
Report on ten books (or eight books and up to two Tacoma Public Library programs), and you receive (while supplies last):
- Coupons from Auntie Anne's Pretzels and Round Table Pizza.
- 2 Party Rats. What? You haven't heard of Party Rats! You're kidding, right? Put these colorful, plastic, rodent lights on your fingers and send out different colored beams of light.
- Two FREE admissions to the Summer Reading Celebration at Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium on Saturday, August 18, featuring a 'you have to see it to believe it' performance by The Great Jugglemania Vaudeville show!
Prize drawings are held every Monday during the 8-week club. Winners are contacted by telephone or email, and the names are posted at each library. Prizes include tickets to the Puyallup Fair, the Tacoma Rainiers, and lots more.
You will be entered into each week's drawing every time you read another book and report @ the library or online. There's at least one winner each week.
Every time you report on ten books, (or eight books and up to two events) you are also entered into a drawing for a new iPad. Someone is going to win it, why not you??